Professor Randall specializes in health policy analysis. He has more than twenty years of experience working with leaders in government, regulatory agencies and health care organizations.
He has been the Chief Executive Officer for one of Ontario’s health regulatory colleges and has served as a member of a number of Boards of Directors. Professor Randall’s research interests include the impact of health care restructuring on health professionals, the privatization of health care services, business-government relations, and governance and strategic management in the not-for-profit sector.
- Ph.D., Health Policy, Management and Evaluation, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto
- M.B.A., Health Services Management, DeGroote School of Business, McMaster University
- M.A., Public Policy and Administration, Political Science, McMaster University
- B.A. (Hons.), Political Science, McMaster University
Research and Study Interests
His current research is focused on health policy reforms and their impact on health professionals.
Some recent projects include:
- long-term care reform and the impact that employer profit motive has on the autonomy of health professionals;
- changes to the scope of practice of health professionals;
- maintaining standards in the delivery of Assertive Community Treatment Programs; and
- youth to adult transitions in mental health services in Ontario
- Winner of the 2016 DeGroote School of Business Research to Practice Excellence Award. The Award is based on a vote by School of Business faculty based on: (1) Research output and its impact for practice; (2) Research support, as demonstrated through external research funding obtained; (3) Accessibility of research results to professional and/or instructor and/or student audiences; and (4) Demonstrated leadership in promoting research application to practice.
- Nominated for the 2015 President’s Award for Excellence in Graduate Supervision. For supervision of Health Policy PhD students and MSc Global Health students.
- Winner of the 2008 award for Outstanding Research Paper Reviewer at the Academy of Management Annual Conference (Health Care Management Division), Anaheim, California.
- Nominated by MBA students in 2007 and 2008 for the Dr. S.J. Basu Award for teaching excellence.
- Winner of the 2006 University of Toronto’s Thomas and Edna Naylor Memorial Award for the best thesis by a M.Sc. or Ph.D. graduate student in Health Services Research.
Professor Randall has consulted for various organizations in the area of governance and strategic management and has made numerous presentations to Boards, associations and at conferences.
He is a member of the Institute of Public Administration of Canada, the Canadian Political Science Association, and the Canadian College of Health Leaders.